Thursday, April 22, 2010

Using Vintage Embroidery in Kids Rooms

A big welcome to our newest contributor - Autumn Clemons of design*dump. Autumn has fantastic taste and wonderful design ideas. I'm so excited to have her as one of our Design Dazzle contributors!

Hello! My name is Autumn Clemons, and I am happy to be a new Feature Contributor here
at Design Dazzle. I have always loved using this great site as a source for all things related to
kids and design, and I look forward to sharing some fun design tricks and tips and projects with you!

As an Interior Designer with three kids, I am always looking for cute and inexpensive
ways to create character and add charm to kids rooms. One of my favorite ways to do this is with vintage embroidery.
In this nursery I designed, an embroidered flower map adds 
vintage charm, and ties in with the color scheme.

This embroidered map was purchased off Ebay for less than $20!
In this playroom, a collection of embroidered USA maps adds whimsy,
and has educational value.
In my sons room, I used a set of embroidered cars.

Also purchased off Ebay, this set came with mats, frames and glass, 
but the original mats were in rough shape, so I had them replaced.

I love all the detail!

In this room, another set of vintage cars in black and gold dictated the color scheme.
Two vintage needlepoint figures fit
into a fun collage on her soft turquoise walls in my oldest daughters room.

I love the sense of history that these vintage pieces add to a kids room.
 Each one took hours and hours to complete, and is truly a labor of love...just like our kiddos!

In my other daughters room, a vintage floral embroidery adds to the feminine feel of the room.

All of these vintage embroideries were purchased from local antique stores, or off Ebay, and cost less than $20. If you are lucky enough to have some embroidery that your grandmother, great-grandmother or other family member has done, pull it out of the attic, and put in in your kids room.
It will add instant character and charm to any kids space!

Autumn Clemons, designer and publisher of Design Dump, is a featured contributor.




No comments:

Post a Comment