Thursday, January 28, 2010

Polka Dot Fun: Kids Rooms!

So, how sweet is this polka dot room? Emily Clark from emilyaclark.blogspot.com designed this "Polka Dots and Party Dresses" room for her little girl.  Darling!


What gave you the idea for the room? Anything special that inspired you?
I knew I wanted a white tufted headboard in the room and had originally painted all pale yellow walls.  I just wasn't getting the "pop" I wanted and knew I needed something bolder on the wall to make the headboard stand out.  I found a great local company that paints big designs on children's walls to look like wallpaper (www.lucyandcompany.com) and fell in love with the pics on their site.  I then had the idea to take one small print (the polka dot pillow) and make it bigger than life.  I knew my painting skills were lacking when it came to perfect polka dots, so I used the white wall-pops (13" diameter) and strategically placed them in a pattern.
What is the wall paint color? Any do-it-yourself projects?
The hot-pink was a color that was they custom mixed for me at Benjamin Moore.  I just took the pillow fabric in and they matched it up.  The yellow paint is Lemon Parfait by Valspar.

The bedding was custom made by my aunt, who is a terrific seamstress!  I knew I wanted something classic (like the apple green damask) paired with punch (the hot pink).  I am a big fan of monograms and thought the black & white pillows gave a sophistication to the bedding.

Instead of a large piece of art, I found a dress form wall decal (to mimic the fabric on the window) on Etsy and asked the seller to make it life size (5 feet tall).  It's a small room so the wall sticker makes a big statement while still leaving the entry open.  Besides the headboard, which I ordered, the rest of the furniture is all a result of my bargain hunting.  I found the table at TJ Maxx on clearance for $20. I loved the look of the turned legs.  It was originally a light gold and I just spray painted it black.  I found the antique dresser on Craigslist and gave it a fresh coat of white paint and also sprayed the knobs black.  The two lamps were also great deals.  One came from a surplus store; another from a yard sale for $2.  I added a little pizazz to the shades w/ some ribbon and pom pom trim.

Please share any bedding, art, furniture finds? What's your favorite purchase?    Any interesting facts our readers would want to know?
One of my favorite pieces is the huge mirror over the dresser.  It was unfinished when I found it at a hotel surplus store for $20, but I thought the lines really complemented the turned legs of the bedside table.  I painted it the same pink as the wall.

The cornice board on the window was a group project for me, my aunt and my dad.  We had the board made, covered it in batting and I chose the black & white dress form fabric because it was girly and I wanted to bring some black into the room.  I eventually ended up using the remnant fabric from the cornice and the bedding to make fabric-covered boxes and mats for picture frames.

One funny tidbit about the room:  It's for my daughter who is three.  She wasn't home the night we put the polka dots on the wall (a tedious process of measuring and sticking just so!).  Since they can easily be peeled off, we decided to convince her that Mommy had painted all of them.  She wasn't allowed to touch the wall for a couple of days and kept asking if they were "dry" yet :)

Thanks Emily for sharing such a darling room with us!

More polka dot rooms and accessories....

image from here

image from Design Dazzle



rug from here

chandelier from here

polka dot art from here

bedding from here


No comments:

Post a Comment